SECTION MENU

History

The Aerospace Medical Association (AsMA) was founded in 1929 under the guidance of Louis H. Bauer, M.D., the first medical director of the Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce (which later became the FAA). Dr. Bauer and his associates dedicated themselves and the new Association to "dissemination of information as will enhance the accuracy of their specialized art...thereby affording a greater guarantee of safety to the public and the pilot, alike; and to cooperate... in furthering the progress of aeronautics in the United States." From the 1929 organizational meeting of 29 "aeromedical examiners," the Association has grown to its present strength of more than 2,200 members from over 70 countries.

A column on “This Month in Aerospace Medicine History” is published each month in the Association's journal. Recent columns (from 2009 onwards) are available through IngentaConnect while columns from 2003 to 2008 can be found in the AsMA News Archives.